The public discussion of the Msc. Thesis in Human Engineering of Roberto Cabuço was carried out on the 27th of July. The candidate was approved with a final grade of 16 values.
The dissertation title was “Riscos ocupacionais no bloco operatório: acidentes com materiais de natureza biológica e química” (Occupational risks in the operating room: accidents with biological and chemical materials) and it was supervised by Professor Paula Carneiro, from the E&HF group, and by Professor Ana Cristina Braga, from SEOR group. The external member of the jury was Maria Antónia Gonçalves, from ISEP-IPP.
Congratulations to Roberto Cabuço, his supervisors, and to E&HF group for the success of this dissertation.
The Human Factors and Ergonomics research group was represented at the Conference AHFE 2016 (www.ahfe2017.org). The event took place in Los Angeles, United States. The HFErg was represented by several of the group researchers, including its coordinator, Pedro Arezes and Nelson Costa (picture above).
The conference was held during 5 days, from the 17-21 July, and was attended by a significant number of Portuguese researchers, students and professionals. The HFErg members have published some works in the books resulting from the conference, including the edition of one of those books by Pedro Arezes, in his role as the chair of one of the affiliated conferences at AHFE (picture below). The full book reference is:
- Arezes, P. (2017) Advances in Safety Management and Human Factors (Ed.). Springer AISC Series 604 ISBN 978-3-319-60525-1, 643 pgs.
The works presented were also published as book chapters (available through request to parezes(at)dps.uminho.pt) and it included the following ones:
- Colim, A; Arezes, P; Flores, JP; Verdasca, R; Braga, AC (2017). Analysis of Infrared Imaging During Vertical Handling Tasks in Workers with Different Levels of Obesity. in P. Arezes (ed.), Advances in Safety Management and Human Factors, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 603 Springer: Switzerland 2017 ISBN 978-3-319-60525-1, pp. 447-455.
- Costa, N; Simões, P; Costa, S.; Arezes, P (2017). Driving Workload Indicators: The Case of Senior Drivers. In P. Arezes (ed.), Advances in Safety Management and Human Factors, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 603 Springer: Switzerland 2017 ISBN 978-3-319-60525-1, pp. 604615.
- Loureiro, I; Pereira, E; Costa, N; Ribeiro, P; Arezes, P (2017). Global City: Index for Industry Sustainable Development. In Charytonowicz, J. (Ed.) Advances in Human Factors, Sustainable Urban Planning and Infrastructure, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 600 Springer: Switzerland 2017. ISBN 978-3-319-60449-7, pp. 294-302.
- Braganca, S; Steele, J; Gill, S; Carvalho, M; Arezes, P (2017). Sports-Wear in Wheelchair Rugby: Establishing Design Needs. In Di Bucchianico and Kercher (Ed.) Advances in Design for Inclusion, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 587 Springer: Switzerland 2017. ISBN 978-3-319-60596-8, pp. 381-389.
The HErg was represented at ECOS 2017 – 30th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems held between 2nd June and 6th July 2017 in San Diego, EUA. The ECOS conferences have a long tradition in fostering the key aspects and the scientific knowledge that are essential to take into account the evolution of all the aspects of energy and their impacts.
Professor Senhorinha Teixeira, an integrated member, represented the group, with the publication:
- Ferreira, A. C., Martins, L. A. S. B., Teixeira, S. F. C. F., & Teixeira, J. C. J. C. (2017) Modelling Stirling engines for CHP applications: analysis of the mechanical and thermal losses. In E. 2017 (Ed.), Proceedings of ECOS 2017 – The 30th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (pp. 1–12). San Diego, EUA.
This participation also aimed to formally present to the ECCOS Scientific Committee, the ongoing preparations for the organization of the 2018 edition. ECOS 2018 will be hosted by the University of Minho, in Guimarães, between June 17th and 22nd, 2018.
In the picture above: (from left to right) Conference Chairs, Professor José Carlos Teixeira and Professor Senhorinha Teixeira, both from the School of Engineering UMinho and the Conference Honorary Chairs, Professor Daniel Favrat (EPFL from Switzerland) and Professor Silvia Nebra (ABC University from Brazil).
A paper involving the E & HF group has been recently published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, a journal indexed at ISI-WoK and Scopus, and with an Impact Factor of 2.101 (2016).
This work was developed under the scope of a FCT funded research project and has involved researchers from the Schools of Economics and Management (Dept. of Economics) and Engineering (Depts. of Polymer Engineering and Production and Systems) of the University of Minho, and from the University of Aveiro (Dept. of Economics, Management and Industrial Engineering).
The paper is available in open access at the journal website:
A paper involving the E & HF group has been recently published in the journal Applied Ergonomics , a journal indexed at ISI-WoK and Scopus, and with an Impact Factor of 1.866 (2016). The full reference of the published paper is:
- Villarroya, A., Arezes, P., Díaz-Freijo, S., Fraga, F. (2017). Validity and reliability of the HEMPA method for patient handling assessment. Applied Ergonomics, 65: 209-222. ISSN 0003-6870. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2017.06.018
Link to FREE download (until 27 august): https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1VLO3rfpMqOB
Two papers involving the E & HF group has been recently published in the International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, a journal indexed at ISI-WoK and Scopus, and with an Impact Factor of 1.415 (2016).
The full reference of the published papers are:
- Arezes, P., Serranheira, F. (2017). New approaches and interventions to prevent Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 60, pp. 1-2. DOI:10.1016/j.ergon.2016.10.005
- Ramos, D., Arezes, P., Afonso, P (2017). Analysis of the return on preventive measures in musculoskeletal disorders through the benefitecost ratio: A case study in a hospital. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 60, pp. 14-25. DOI: 10.1016/j.ergon.2015.11.003
Links to download:
A paper involving the E & HF group has been recently published in the WORK journal , a journal indexed at ISI-WoK and Scopus, and with an Impact Factor of 0.715 (2016).
The full reference of the published paper is:
- Bragança, S., Arezes, P., Carvalho, M., Ashdown, S., Xu, B. & Castellucci, I. (2017). Validation study of a Kinect based body imaging system. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 57(1), 9-21. http://doi.org/10.3233/WOR-172532
Link to download: http://content.iospress.com/articles/work/wor2532